Do not love the world or the things in the world. The love of the Father is not in those who love the world 1 John 2:15
There are many things in this world that I "love": my family and friends, of course; puppies, kittens and, well actually, any baby animal; strawberries; the color red; the smell of freshly mowed grass, and horses, to name a few.
The kind of love that 1 John 2:15 refers to is worship, idolatry, and glorification of worldly things. It is putting objects or pastimes above God. Take this short quiz to see if you are putting worldly things above God.
- Do you skip Sunday church to play golf/go hunting/take a walk in the woods and justify it with the thought "I can worship God anywhere"?
- Do you shy away from expressing your faith because you are afraid of how your friends/family/strangers will react?
- Are you a workaholic, thinking that if you can just get the next promotion or next big raise, you'll be happy?
- You meet two people. They are both charming, funny, attractive, and have the same interests and hobbies as you. The only difference between the two is that one can help elevate your social status and the other can help bring you closer to God. Which do you prefer as a friend?
- Do you find it hard to find time to pray or read the Bible because you are busy with life?